Penn State Ends in 2-2 Draw in Second Game Against St. Lawrence

Story posted September 25, 2021 in Sports, CommRadio by Ethan Ellis

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State finished in a dead heat with St. Lawrence University on Friday night as the final score was 2-2.

St. Lawrence started off the game with a bang with a goal scored by Rachel Teslak in the first couple of minutes.

Penn State was able to get its first major shot at a goal at the end of the first period when St. Lawrence player Suyeon Eom was penalized for interference.

This power play extended into the second period, but the Nittany Lions were not able to capitalize on the advantage.

“I thought we started off decently,” head coach Jeff Kampersal said.

In the second period the Saints were able to extend their lead to 2-0 after a goal by Rachel Bjorgan.

In the second period the Nittany Lions got yet another chance to score when two Saints players were sent to the penalty box, meaning Penn State had a 5-3 player advantage, and once again Penn State was unable to convert.

Penn State was finally able to score its first goal of the game thanks to first-year player Karley Garcia who scored her first collegiate goal.

“I was just happy to get it going and get the team going,” Garcia said.

In the third period the Nittany Lions were gifted with yet another power play as Sophie Holden was penalized for tripping with 1:57 left in the second period, and did not capitalize again.

“We had a little more grit to our game in the second and third,” Kampersal said.

With only four minutes left in regulation, Natalie Heising was able to score another goal for Penn State and tie the game.
“Our energy on the bench was insane and that picked everybody up and gave everybody the energy that we needed to finish the game.” Heising said.

To close out the third period, SLU was penalized for having too many players on the ice which once again meant a power play for PSU. Once again, however, they were not able to capitalize.

While Penn State did get yet another power play in overtime, it was not able to capitalize, and the game ended in a tie and capped off a thrilling night at the Pegula Ice Arena.

The blue and white will gear up next week on Oct. 2 when it takes on Boston College at home in a game that will most certainly be exciting.

“We will focus on ourselves and focus on getting our special teams better,” Kampersal said.


Ethan Ellis is a first-year student majoring in Broadcast Journalism. To contact him, email him at