Penn State Loses Shootout, Ties RIT 3-3

Story posted October 27, 2013 in CommRadio, Sports by Connor DeKranis

The Penn State men’s ice hockey team welcomed the Rochester Institute of Technology to the Pegula Ice Arena Friday night. After back-and-forth play for the majority of the game, the two teams ended their non-conference matchup in a 3-3 tie.

Even though the Nittany Lions came out strong and fast in the first period, their lack of discipline crippled their early performance. In the first period alone, the Lions racked up 25 penalty minutes as opposed to just six for RIT.

Freshman Dylan Richard struck first for the Lions in the sixth minute following a flurry of shots, with Penn State dominating offensive possession.

Freshman Zach Saar committed his second penalty of the game for charging at 7:13 into the first, which eventually led to a 5-on-4 goal for the Tigers. RIT’s senior forward Adam Mitchell beat Penn State goaltender Matthew Skoff, effectively tying the game at one in the eighth minute of the first period.

For the remainder of the first period, possession rapidly flipped back and forth as the two teams traded penalty after penalty.

RIT senior Mike Colavecchia scored on another 5-on-4 in the 18th minute to give the Tigers the 2-1 lead.

With 30 seconds left in the first period, the Lions suffered a huge loss after Alternate Captain David Glen was assessed with a five minute major, as well as a ten minute game misconduct penalty for kneeing an RIT defenseman.

The Tigers finished the first period, and began the second, with a 5-on-3 power play due to Penn State sophomore Kenny Brooks being called for an elbowing minor on the same play as Glen’s game misconduct penalty.

However, the Lions were able to completely kill off the two man advantage for RIT and swing the momentum back their way.

Play went from one end of the ice to the other, as possession switched from team to team constantly throughout the second period. In the 15th minute, Penn State freshman David Goodwin was able to capitalize on a power play with a game-tying goal from the slot.

The Lions were able to remain more disciplined in the second period with only one minor penalty committed. After two periods, the game was tied 2-2.

In the third period, the Lions were able to get 11 shots on RIT junior goaltender Jordan Ruby, complemented by a long wrist-shot goal from the blue line courtesy of sophomore Curtis Loik (8:47). The Tigers fought back, buzzing after Loik’s go-ahead goal. RIT junior forward Brad McGowan was able to capitalize in the 12th minute, tying the game at three.

High intensity, back-and-forth play continued for the remainder of regulation. However, neither team was able to net a game-winner.

Since this was an out of conference game, in the books it was recorded as a tie. However, the players and coaches of both squads decided to go into sudden-death overtime. With no result after five minutes of play, the teams entered a shootout. The Tigers were able to ‘win’ the shootout with a score of 2-0.

Head coach Guy Gadowsky was pleased with the Lions’ overall performance on the ice, but called the tie a learning experience.

“We learned we have a lot more to learn,” Gadowsky said, commenting on the Lions’ tireless play. “I think the players feel proud of themselves for battling back.”

Although the Lions believed they played well, having capitalized on some chances, it ultimately felt more of a loss than a tie.

The Lions exited the locker room and got right on a bus to Philadelphia. The team will be playing the Vermont Catamounts in the Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday October 26th at 5 pm.

Connor DeKranis is a freshman majoring in film. To contact him, email